8:46 AM

Bah! Mothers. Can't live with them, can't kill them. I had best stop here, because I will go off on a huge rant. Grrr.

I had a pretty quiet evening last night. Six loads of laundry, so my apartment has clothes hanging from every available space as I only have an apartment-sized washing machine and no dryer. The upside is everywhere in the place smells like yummy fabric softener. That's the best part about laundry day :). The downside is there is a rack with my underwear drying on it right smack in the middle of the living room (it's the only available open space). Thankfully I don't get many visitors!

Lucky has had all of his flights feathers grow back, so he is flapping happily about the apartment. Hopefully Gypsy's will grow back in as quickly. The vet seemed to think it was their diet that made them lose the feathers. Here's the thing: I had converted both cockatiels to a pellet diet and they had been on them for two years. When my mother moved in last fall, the birds were out all day and kept going into my budgie's cage and eating all her seed. Mom made the brilliant decision to just start giving them all seed (which is basically like feeding your kids cake and candy all day-it's fat and carbs). Now it is just as much my fault, as I should have put my foot down with her, but it wasn't worth another argument. So back on seed they went, which has resulted in Gypsy's egg-laying and the feather-plucking. So for the past two weeks I have been working to get them all on pellets. The cockatiels have warmed up to them and are eating but Toby refuses to touch the pellets. I have mixed them in with her seed, tried them on their own... she just keeps picking them up and throwing them on the floor. When I come home, Toby bangs her food dish against the side of cage, as if to say 'Hey, woman, what's this junk in my bowl? Gimme the good stuff!". Ugh, they are worse than children some days :p

4 comments:

neicybelle said...

that makes perfect sense about their diet change...i'm glad to hear they're on the mend! toby will come around eventually...he's just a strong-willed child throwing a temper tantrum...

Have a great one!

neicybelle said...

by the way...i'm rolling on the floor over the thought of your underwear all over your apartment!! i'm like you, though...fabric softener is the best smell!

Leah said...

Yeah, the underwear are really attractive! Chris just shakes his head when he walks in the apartment, lol.

Kristi K. said...

I'm with you both. I think that hanging clothes is great because it saves on energy, prevents the clothes from wearing out as fast, and then the lovely fabric softener smell is a bonus. I hang up our tshirts sometimes. However, with the undies... kids have friends in and out all day. If I hung my underwear in the living room, I'm sure they'd die of embarrasment. Hmmm....maybe that's a good way to threaten them. :) "Either quit the back talking or I'm hanging my underwear in the living room!" ;) haha! Payback!
I'm so glad your birds are feeling better. I swear, it is so neat how animals communicate. They are super intelligent about conveying their needs. It's amazing!