3:29 PM

There are days when I know I should not read the headlines on my home page. This week has been that way--some headlines have just pissed me off to no end.

Michael Richards--what on earth was he thinking? How can you go into such a hateful, dispicable tirade and expect people to believe that you are not racist? He looked genuinely sorry on Letterman, but geez. I understand being angry at hecklers, but attacking them because of their race is absolutely horrid. I watched the clip from the comedy club and was stunned-I am not sure if his career will recover from this, and it will serve him right.

OJ Simpson and Fox--greed knows no limits. The sick bastard basically confesses in a book and is given millions of dollars to do so, and Fox didn't think people would be outraged? Haven't the victims families been through enough? Now that the whole thing has been cancelled, OJ is whining about the loss of money that would have gone to his children (yeah, right) and how Ron Goldman's family keep trying to drain him dry. Boo hoo.

AFA vs Walmart--I just caught wind of this this morning after Walmart did some backpedalling to please the AFA and stop the boycott. There are days when I think we are still living in the bloody stone age, with a bunch of bigots running our countries. Bigotry is wrong, whether it is a prejudice against race, religion, creed or sexual orientation. We all are humans, we all deserve the same rights. Which brings me to my next fury of the week...

Stephen Harper-our prime minister has made good on his campaign promise to reopen the debate on gay marriage (hence why he didn't get my vote). It was made legal by the previous Liberal government and made Canada the fourth country to come out of the dark ages and grant gay people the same rights the rest of us have. Harper has a minority government so chances are the motion will get struck down, but it still infuriates me. Al this nonsense about gay marriage damaging children and destroying family values--gee, I don't see heterosexuals doing such a bang up job of maintaining family values and providing secure, loving homes for their children. The freaking divorce rate is over 50%, so who's to say gay people can't do as good of a job (it's not exactly a high standard to live up to)? Churches are not required to perform ceremonies for gay couples if they choose not to, so they aren't having their rights infringed upon. I just don't get it, but I should probably shut up now or risk offending people.

I'm in stressed out frame of mind, so things are not sliding off like they normally would. But maybe that's a good thing, since too often people let too many things just slide off..

3 comments:

Kristi K. said...

You know, the Michael Richards thing shocked me, too. I dunno, I guess I'm weird, but I think if a person thinks something and that's how they think, they shouldn't apologize for it and pretend to be sorry to appease a certain group of people. I also believe that where he spoke, in the US, being a free country, he had a right to say what he did, even if what he said isn't a popular point of view. However, he also has to face that there will be repercussions for being that vocal....though the govt. may not come in and silence him, his career and reputation could be permanently tarnished.

I do think racism=ignorance. I think a lot of people have fear and anger about a certain group of people simply because of one bad experience or because of misinformation they were fed. I think if people are open minded enough, they can learn something from all races.

I also think that if he (Richards) spewed forth that kind of trash when angry, then he probably really does believe in his heart what he said.
I think his career IS going to suffer. I think he will never be looked at the same. I am glad I'm not standing in his shoes right now.

I have always viewed people as people....I see a soul, not a skin color. I think a jerk is a jerk, no matter what the race. I think a sweet person isn't a "nice black person" or a "nice Mexican," or whatever race, it's just a nice person. I wish more people thought that way. I've had to deal with a lot of crap because many people DON'T share my viewpoint on race. In the long run, it's made me stronger for not compromising what I feel about it.

I guess the thing that Rob and I both agree on, is unless someone reminds us, we forget we're a biracial couple. It's only a issue when someone else points it out. People say he has so many "white" personality characteristics, and I don't get that. He's just Rob. I'm just Kris. Why can't we all just be people?

:) Love this post. Thanks for standing up for what you think. Thanks for letting me ramble in this comment. :)

neicybelle said...

ellie! this was a remarkable post!! i so agree with what kristi said about people being people...no matter what their skin color...

and the news headlines infuriate me too...thanks for putting everything so eloquently! *smiles*

Leah said...

Thanks, gals. I generally try to avoid posting anything political or controversial-I don't like the idea that I could offend someone reading this or somehow insult their beliefs or political views, etc. Sometimes there is just so much going on in the world that can be frustrating or infuriating, you can't help but comment on it.